Advisor Trainings & Additional Resources
Each year, the Center for Leadership and Involvement holds several Advisor Trainings on various topics pertinent to student organization advisors. Below is the current Advisor Training Schedule, an archive of past trainings, as well as a list of additional advisor resources.
2013-2014 Advisor Training Schedule
- Tuesday, September 17, 2013 5:00-6:30pm TITU
- Wednesday, September 18, 2013 12:00-1:30pm TITU
- Monday, October 14, 2013 12:00-1:30pm TITU
- Tuesday, February 4, 2014 12:00-1:30pm TITU
Risk Management Workshop:
- Tuesday, November 5, 2013 1:00-2:30pm TITU
Transitions & Technology Workshop:
- Thursday, April 10, 2014 12:00-1:30pm TITU
- Click on the date of the workshop and then log in to WIN (UW Net ID required) and RSVP. (Coming Soon!)
Email Jeff Benson to let him know you are coming.
Just show up to the training!
Description of Events
The Advisor Trainings for the coming academic year are currently being planned. Please check back for more current information, or contact the Center for Leadership and Involvement (CfLI) by email.
Archive of Previous Years' Trainings
2012 - 2013 Advisor Training - Description of Events
Student Organization Advisor Orientation
Friday, September 28, 2012 12:00-1:30pm, Memorial Union TITU
Wednesday, October 17, 2012 4:00-5:30pm, TITU (Red Gym)
Tuesday, January 15, 2013 12:00-1:30pm, Memorial Union TITU
This workshop is designed for anyone who advises student organizations. We will discuss student organization advisor’s roles and expectations and student organization advisor resources. You also learn about the new Wisconsin Involvement Network (WIN) and how the groups you advise can make the best use of this software! There will be time for questions and discussion.
Student Organization Advisor Risk Management Workshop
Wednesday, December 5, 2012 2:30-4:00pm, Memorial Union TITU
Let’s hear from the experts! A representative from UW Risk Management, UW Legal Services and a seasoned Student Organization Advisor will be on hand to guide us in a discussion of common risk management issues encountered by Student Organizations and their Advisors… and how to successfully prepare for and handle risk.
Student Organization Advisor Round Table
Monday, March 4, 2013 12:00-1:30pm, Memorial Union TITU
There is a wealth of knowledge, experience and great ideas in our own community. This session gives you a chance to share your wisdom and ask questions of each other in an informal setting. Whether you have been advising an organization for 10 years or you just began, please come and share your ideas.
Transitions and Technology
Friday, April 12, 2013 12:00-1:30pm, Memorial Union TITU
Led by students currently in student organizations, this workshop is designed to help advisors understand how students are using technology, especially to improve the transition of leadership from one year to the next. Come prepared with questions for the students. We will also hear from a representative from DoIT on the technology resources available for RSOs. Participants should walk away with ideas about how to better engage students using technology and some ideas to ease transition of leaders and members from one year to the next.
- "Advice for Advisors" Emails - A biweekly newsletter from the Center for Leadership and Involvement that gives brief advisor tips, notices on upcoming Student Organization events (such as the Student Organization Fair), as well as information on the upcoming Advisor Trainings. Email the CfLI for more information.
- Minimum Requirements for Departmental Sponsorship
- Advisor's Resource Guide
- Dean of Students/ASM
- Recreational Sports
- Big 10 Recreational Sports Travel Policies
- Car Fleet Training Quiz
- Stay Safe While You Serve Handout
- Risk Management Office Contacts
- Risk Management Conference Notes